Calhoun County, Arkansas

County History

Calhoun County was formed on December 6, 1850, from parts of Dallas, Ouachita and Bradley counties. It is named for John C. Calhoun, an American statesman and political philosopher. Hampton is the county seat. The county is small, averaging less than 10 people per square mile. The economic base is timber, sand, and gravel. The landscape of the county is made up of rolling hills and is largely forested. Calhoun County shares with Cleveland County the Moro Creek Bottoms Natural Area, one of the few almost completely intact tracts of virgin hardwoods still existing in Arkansas. Calhoun County has the feeling of togetherness with the many ball fields and playgrounds. Most of the citizens take time for ball tournaments held at the Calhoun county park. Varied water recreation is available within easy reach of anywhere in the county, and hunting is also a popular sport. Calhoun County also shares with Cleveland County the Moro Creek Bottoms Natural Area that is one of the few intact tracts of virgin hardwoods still existing in Arkansas.

{county_google_analytics}